Accused of Driving Under the Influence?
You Need the Assistance of Our Jackson DUI Lawyer
The best time to hire your DUI defense lawyer in Jackson is immediately following your arrest. This gives your lawyer the most time possible to build a strong defense on your behalf. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the better chance you have of winning your case.
Contact our Ringer, Lingold & Spencer Jackson DUI attorney immediately at (601) 845-5050. We are ready to go to work for you to fight for you to retain your license and to protect your future.
The Process Of Being Arrested for a DUI
Many people test the theory that a situation can never happen to them. That is why many people take a chance on driving under the influence. It can be a terrifying experience when you get busted for DUI charges. If a cop pulls you over, they must have a reason to stop you. They must have probable cause to search your vehicle. But they will smell the alcohol on your breath if you have been drinking, so it is best not to lie about it.
Upon the suspicion that you have been drinking, they will go through the full license, registration, and proof of insurance routine. Then they will request that you step out of the vehicle. They will give a sobriety test and a breathalyzer test. Anything over 0.8 means the police offers will slap the cuffs, read your rights, put you in the back seat of their squad car, and take you down to the police station. When they start the booking process, that is when you should have the thought to get in touch with your Jackson DUI attorney. They will allow the time to make contact over the phone.
If this is the first offense, you may only spend one night in jail if you have fully cooperated with the officer and the offense was only a DUI with no other charges. Your bail will be set when you face the judge, and sometimes you may not have to pay bail if the judge is lenient for the first offense. They may let you off on your “own recognizance,” which means you promise to return for your court date without flight. The Jackson DUI lawyer will speak on your behalf; the rest is up to the judge’s decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our DUI Lawyers in Jackson Respond to Your Concerns
If you have been arrested and charged with driving under the influence, you have every right to be concerned. And you likely have a lot of questions. Below, our professionals have addressed some of those which are asked of us most often.
Can I represent myself in a DUI charge?
If I am pulled over, can I refuse to take a breathalyzer test?
If I am convicted of a DUI, does it go on my record?
This is my first offense. What penalties am I facing?
The questions above are only a sample of what we are asked on a regular basis. You likely have a number of questions relating to your specific situation. Contact our office today at (601) 845-5050 to schedule a consultation with our Jackson DUI attorney so we can speak more specifically about the charges you are facing.
The Best DUI Defense Strategy
When you are facing DUI charges, it is important to have a competent and experienced lawyer by your side. A good DUI defense lawyer in Jackson, MS, will know how to build a strong defense and will work tirelessly to get the best possible outcome for your case.
Some of the best DUI defense strategies that a Jackson DUI lawyer can use include:
- Challenging the stop: If the police did not have probable cause to stop your vehicle, then any evidence obtained as a result of the stop may be inadmissible in court. This could potentially lead to the charges against you being dropped.
- Challenging the breath test: There are many ways that a breath test can be inaccurate. If your lawyer can show that the test was not administered properly or that the machine was not calibrated correctly, then the results of the test may be thrown out.
- Challenging the field sobriety tests: These tests are often subjective and can be affected by factors such as weather, lighting, and the surface on which they are conducted. If your lawyer can show that the conditions were not ideal for these tests, then they may be able to get them discounted.
- Raising an affirmative defense: There are a number of defenses that can be raised in a DUI case, such as medical conditions or prescription medications that can affect a person’s ability to drive safely. If your lawyer can successfully argue one of these defenses, then you may be able to avoid a conviction.
- Negotiating a plea deal: In some cases, it may be in your best interests to accept a plea deal from the prosecution. This can often result in a reduced charge or a lighter sentence. Your lawyer will be able to advise you on whether or not this is a good option for your particular case.
- Did they read you your rights correctly: Your Miranda rights are a must at the time the handcuffs are put on your wrists and you are placed under arrest. If these rights are not read properly or at all, you may walk away free after dismissal of your charges in court.
Even those who have not been drinking can be charged with DUI. Innocent until proven guilty is the premise upon which we work, each and every day. Call our office today if you find yourself in this position, at (601) 845-5050
About the DUI Lawyers in Jackson
Ringer, Lingold & Spencer. Live Here. Work Here. Love Here.
Ringer, Lingold & Spencer has made a strong and long-term commitment to providing the highest quality legal services to the citizens of Jackson. You see, we are members of the community as well, and we believe in the importance of supporting each other.
Our team has an in-depth knowledge of Mississippi DUI law and are well-versed in working in the local court system. We also have past experience as prosecutors. Because we know how the other side will address your case, we know how build your defense. We are proud to leverage our knowledge and experience on behalf of our community each and every day.
Engaging an experienced DUI attorney in Jackson is one of the most important decisions you will ever have to make. Working with the right professional can make a significant difference in your life. At Ringer, Lingold & Spencer, we recognize this and take our responsibility seriously. You will see how we are Mississippi proud and can deliver winning results. When you work with us, you get the benefit of our . . .
- 73 years of combined legal experience.
- Commitment to client service. We are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns.
- Empathetic approach. We understand and appreciate the stress of a DUI arrest. Our Jackson DUI attorneys are well-known for helping to keep our clients calm throughout the process.
Our DUI lawyers in Jackson are ready to help you. We will work tirelessly on your behalf to reach the best possible outcome. Reach out to us today at (601) 845-5050 to schedule a consultation