Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Getting Winning Results
Proudly Representing Mississippians
A Brookhaven personal injury lawyer can help you get compensation if you or a loved one was injured or someone has died due to another party’s negligence. Personal injury usually occurs due to accidents that were caused by carelessness, negligence, or fault. Victims may be left with mental problems such as emotional distress from the trauma and may receive physical injuries that can range from broken bones to paralysis, or even death.
Personal injury can cause severe problems and suffering to both the injured person and those around them.
In addition, personal injury may result in financial losses from damaged property and mounting medical, hospital, and rehabilitative bills, at a time when the injured person is unable to work and earn a living.
Fortunately, the state of Mississippi provides a way to help victims of personal injury. It is possible to get compensation for both your monetary losses and your pain and suffering through insurance or a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. A favorable settlement can alleviate the financial repercussions of your accident and make it easier for you and your family to rebuild your lives.
Why You Should Call a Brookhaven Personal Injury Lawyer at Ringer Ringer Lingold & Spencer
At this difficult time, you do not have to go through the legal hurdles of trying to get compensation alone. The Brookhaven personal injury lawyers at Ringer Lingold & Spencer, PLLC, understand what you are going through and are available to help.
We have over 73 years of experience practicing in courts all over the state of Mississippi to represent the best interests of clients. We use our previous experience representing a large Mississippi insurance company to benefit our clients.
Contact us to request a consultation to evaluate the facts of your personal injury case and determine the best way to handle your case in order to get maximum compensation. Call us today at (601) 845-5050.
Types of Cases Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Brookhaven, MS, Handle
Injuries can happen in many different ways, and our personal injury lawyers in Brookhaven, MS, handle all types of cases. Some of the most common causes of personal injury include:
- Vehicle accidents – Car, truck, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents are the most common cause of personal injury.
- Slip-and-fall injuries – When business and property owners fail to maintain their property to prevent harm to others.
- Medical Malpractice – When medical professionals fail to adhere to the standard of care for their profession, they may be held liable.
- Product liability – A manufacturer or distributor of a product may be held liable if the product is defective and harms a consumer.
- Dog bites – Owners are responsible if they knew or reasonably should have known that the dog had a dangerous propensity to attack.
Compensation a Personal Injury Lawyer in Brookhaven, MS, Can Help Get for You
In a successful case, the Ringer Lingold & Spencer lawyers handling injury cases in Brookhaven will get you a settlement, called “damages,” to cover the losses from your accident. Mississippi allows compensation for both your economic (monetary) damages and your non-economic damages (for losses that do not have a specific dollar value).
Economic damages cover the costs, expenses and losses that have a monetary value, including:
- Medical, hospital, rehabilitative, and home modification costs
- Lost earnings from being unable to work and projected lost earning capacity for the future
- Property damage, such as cost to replace a vehicle
- Burial and funeral costs, if a death is involved
Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify. They are to provide compensation payments for the negative effects resulting from the injury, such as:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium and companionship
- Disability or disfigurement
- Wrongful death
Punitive damages may also be available in rare cases of extreme wrongdoing. These are to punish the wrongdoer and to deter similar behavior in the future.
Are There Limitations in a Brookhaven Personal Injury Case?
Mississippi does not limit the amount of economic damages you may receive, but it does put a cap on non-economic and punitive damages. In addition, Mississippi has a statute of limitations, a time limit for filing a personal injury case. In most situations, you must file within three years of the date the injury occurred or the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case.
When an Injury Results in Wrongful Death
In cases where an injury caused death, surviving family members may be able file a wrongful death lawsuit, which is like a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of the deceased. Wrongful death cases have a three-year statute of limitations from the date of the death, but if the death was caused by an intentional act, such as an assault or murder, the statute of limitations is just one year from the date of the death.
Amount of Compensation
There are many factors that go into determining how much a personal injury case may be worth. Compensation awards may range from the thousands to millions of dollars, depending on factors that may include:
- The extent, severity, and permanence of your injuries. An injury that results in permanent paralysis is worth more than broken bones that will heal.
- Your earning capacity, how long you will be out of work, and whether you will be able to do the work you did before.
- Your age and family situation. Compensation for a young person with a family will be greater than for single, older person.
- Availability of funds through insurance and defendants’ personal assets.
- Whether a wrongful death is involved.
- The inclination of the individual judge and jury to give generous settlements.
- The strength of your case and your attorney’s ability to present it.
When we evaluate your case, the Brookhaven personal injury attorneys at Ringer Lingold & Spencer will have an idea of what a fair settlement should be. We also will have an idea of how long your case may take, as the more serious your injuries and the more it is worth, the longer it may take to conclude.
We will fight for optimum compensation in all areas relevant to your case and do so in a timely manner. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can start building your case to get you your settlement, so call us today at (601) 845-5050.
Brookhaven Personal Injury Attorneys Proving Another Party Negligent
Proving negligence is an essential part of winning your personal injury case. Our Brookhaven personal injury attorneys will work to establish that the party you are suing, the defendant in the case, was negligent and at fault for causing your injuries.
Proving legal negligence involves showing that the following elements exist:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- The defendant breached that duty of care.
- The breach caused the accident that created your injuries.
- The injuries resulted in actual damages, such as hospital, medical, and therapy bills and property damage.
There are times when several parties were at fault for the accident, and our attorneys will name all of them as defendants in your lawsuit in order to increase the assets and insurance available for a settlement. For example, if your personal injury occurred from a defective product, both the manufacturer and the distributor of the product could be at fault, and they may both have insurance that could compensate your losses.
In situations where you may have done something to contribute to your accident, you may still be entitled to compensation. According to Mississippi Code § 11-7-15, contributory negligence is no bar to recovery of damages, as long as you are less than 100% at fault. However, a jury may reduce the damage award according to the percentage you are found to have been at fault. Our attorneys can still help you collect the portion of the award owed due to the fault of the other party.